Source for your Muskets

Discuss muskets, uniforms and accouterments here. If you're looking for something, we may be able to point you in the right direction.
Jim
Private

Source for your Muskets

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Can you provide some info on where you get your muskets. I am aware of The Discriminating General and Loyalist Arms, what model you use, preferred load etc. Any hints/tips/ stories on use appreciated too.

I had a chance to handle an original Brown Bess this week, really got me thinking about getting a repro.

Regards, Jim

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm not sure, but I think the musket DG sells doesn't have the touch hole drilled. Best to call them and ask. Some of the merchants at events including the Lion's Den carry period firearms. Unfortunately I don't have Les' contact information. You can also try Shooter's Choice, or Loyalist Arms. You could probably order one from any gun store, but would likely pay a premium. You may be able to find a used one for a few hundred dollars, or may have to pay up to $1500 CAD.

If you join up on the warof1812 Yahoo group, and post that you are looking for one, you may get an idea there...

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Some of the guys did a live shoot last week. Hopefully they can add something to this thread. I know they all had a load of fun.

Jim
Private

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Glengarry Fencible wrote: Some of the guys did a live shoot last week. Hopefully they can add something to this thread. I know they all had a load of fun.
Thanks, I'd love to hear about the shoot.

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:54 pm

The consensus seems to be that muskets are far more accurate than some "historians" would have us believe. I guess Tiger Dunlop was right.

By the way, welcome to the group!

CPT McMEEKIN
Corporal

Post by CPT McMEEKIN » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 pm

Jim
If your going to buy a musket ,buy a
PEDERSOLI made in Italy 75 CAL. 42 "
barrel .
Yes they are expensive , but they are the real thing . Great copy !
Also they have been proofed ( very important ) where the INDIA makes are not !
Just incase you ever decide to shoot live ball .
Well worth the thrill .
Buy the bayonet at the same time too make sure it fits the lug .
Sounds like you should be joining a
group like Glens

pud
Official historian

Loyalist Arms - buy Canadian

Post by pud » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:23 pm

Jim,

I strongly recommend that you purchase from
Loyalist Arms and Repairs
10 Brunt Rd.
Harrietsfield, Nova Scotia,
Canada B3V 1B1
Phone: (902) 479-0967
Fax: (902) 479-0032

LoyalistArms@GoSea.com

The Brown Bess, (2nd Model) S260 by Pedersoli, is $1101.00 CAD or $959.00 USD
That doesn’t include bayonet but does include sling furniture. Shipping is about $30.00 CAD.

OR

I personally recommend the Brown Bess, East India Pattern, (Third Model) at $672.00 CAD or $525.00 USD. It’s very high quality and about a pound or two lighter than the originals. Comes with sling furniture (swivels). Unlike what you may find at the “discriminating general’s shop”, these Loyalist Arms muskets have vent holes and are proofed. And, it’s more accurate to carry an India Pattern for the time period and it’s almost identical to a ‘light infantry’ musket in terms of weight, size and features. Be sure to order a bayonet for it too.

Ask for Linda. She’ll serve you right, quickly and make the whole process relatively painful.

Good luck with your purchase.

p.s. If you purchase the Shortland (2nd) pattern it’s cheaper to pay with Canadian funds. You’ll save $20 to $50 bucks. If you buy the India (3rd) pattern it’s cheaper to pay by American funds. You’ll save $40 to $60 bucks.

Pud

pud
Official historian

PAINFUL

Post by pud » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:27 pm

lol :lol:

"PAINLESS"

.can't believe I did that.
well, I'm sure you know what I really meant.lol

Jim
Private

Post by Jim » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the input. Have looked at the various sites and am leaning towards an India Pattern from Loyalist Arms. The Pedersolis are very impressive, it's just I can't justify that amount of money once you factor in taxes shipping and shooting accessories.

I've sort of already committed to purchasing as I picked up a round ball mold (a used Lyman for $25.00) and cast up a bunch last night. If I don't by a musket they would go to waste!

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Jim wrote:I've sort of already committed to purchasing as I picked up a round ball mold (a used Lyman for $25.00) and cast up a bunch last night. If I don't by a musket they would go to waste!
Exactly the sort of logic I use! :lol:

Remember to do your casting in a well ventilated area.