District General Orders - Headquarters - October, 1814

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

District General Orders - Headquarters - October, 1814

Post by pud » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:18 pm

Source: Documentary History of the Campaign on the Niagara Frontier in 1814 [part ii]. Capt. E. Cruikshank. Tribune Office, Welland, Ontario. [year is unknown]. pp. 260 through 268.

"Lieutenant-Col. Christopher Myers, Deputy Quartermaster-General to Lt.-General Sir Cordon Drummond.
Misener's House, on Lyons Creek, October 19, 1814.

Sir,-I have the honor to report to you that I proceeded this morning to reconnoitre the position of the enemy at Cook's Mills, distant from hence three miles, where he was understood to be in force.

I directed Lt.-Col. Battersby, with the Glengarry Regiment of light infantry, to move in front and on the flanks; Lt.-Col. the Marquess of Tweeddale with the 100th flank companies of the 104th, and those of the 82nd, with a six pounder and the Rockets, in support, and Major Proctor with the remainder of the 82nd Regiment to move in reserve, the whole about 750 men.

I found the enemy's advance with a strong support posted on the right bank of a ravine, which runs to Lyons Creek, a small distance from the Mills. A part of the Glengarry Regiment turned round a small wood which covered the front of the enemy and crossed ahead of the ravine, whilst the remainder passed through the wood. By this movement the enemies light troops were driven back in admirable style, whilst a part of his force crossed Lyons Creek for the purpose of annoying our left.,... I retired the Glengarry Regiment and fell back a small distance, in the hope of drawing the enemy force to the open ground, and, if circumstances would justify it, to bring him to a more general action.,... Finding it impossible to draw him fairly from the woods, I retired the troops to their cantonments around this place, keeping my advance close to that of the enemy.

The conduct of the Glengarry Light Infantry during this campaign has been so conspicuous that Lt.-Col. Battersby and the officers and men of that corps can receive little further from any report of mine, but on this occasion I cannot refrain from adding my humble tribute of praise to their well-earned fame."

"Sir Gordon Drummond to Sir George Prevost.
DISTRICT HEADQUARTERS,
NIAGARA FALLS, 20th October, 1814.

Sir,-Early yesterday morning the 6th Regiment was passed over to Weishuhn's, to which point I myself proceeded, for the purpose of being ready to move to the attack of the enemy's force at Cook's Mills should the result of the reconnaissance, which I directed Col. Myers, Deputy-Quartermaster-General, to make, appear to me to render such a movement advisable.,...

It appears that the force which had penetrated through almost impassable roads to Cook's Mills consisted of one brigade, viz: the 5th, 14th, 15th, and 16th Regiments of General Izard's army, under Brigadier-General Bissell. A reinforcement of two regiments joined them this morning from General Brown's army. Feeling the difficulties of his situation, however, and the impossibility of moving even the common waggons of the country, much less guns, through such roads, and finding a powerful force in his front not only ready to meet him but anxious to entice him into the open ground, the Commanding General of the American army has wisely thought proper to withdraw his force, which accordingly retreated from Cook's Mills at two o'clock this afternoon, without even destroying the Mills, though he certainly might have done so on public grounds. I must, however, do him the Justice to acknowledge that as far as I have observed he has been studiously cautious in abstaining from his burning and plundering system, probably admonished by the retaliation inflicted at Washington and on the coast.

It is impossible for me to say what this army may next attempt, but his failure in his endeavor to turn my right, and the great improvement I have been able to make by increasing exertions in the defenses at the Tete de pont and Weishuhn's, leave me far less anxious on the subject of being able successfully to repel all the enemy's attempts on this Frontier than I was on his first approach, at which period I had little or nothing to aid the gallantry of the troops. The Tete de pont is now a very complete and defensible work. The redoubt at Weishuhn's is also in a respectable state, and the guns are so disposed and covered along the left bank of the Chippawa between these two posts as to render the whole position very strong, and consequently to leave the greatest part of my force disposable to oppose the enemy, should he succeed in turning my right.

In consequence of a succession of adverse and violent winds, no communication has yet been had with the squadron, although they have been off the Niagara these three days.,...

I have now distinctly and earnestly to recommend to Your Excellency to send up to this Frontier two effective regiments in addition to the 90th, one of them to go to Burlington, where their active services will be required, and the other to Fort George to relieve and enable me to send down to the Lower Province the following regiments, viz: the Royals, King's, 41st, 89th, 100th, 103rd, and DeWatteville's, (seven,) and which cannot move from hence until the arrival of those destined to replace them."

"After Evening District-General Order.
HEADQUARTERS,
NIAGARA FALLS, 22nd October, 1814.

The troops in the field will be brigaded as follows during the short service on which the Lt.-General proposes to employ them:

1st Brigade, Major-General Stovin:

1st Battalion Royal Scots.
90th Regiment.
97th do
Flank companies 41st and DeWatteville's.
2-24 pounders brass field pieces.
1-6 do do

2nd Brigade, Major-General DeWatteville:

6th Regiment.
82nd do
89th and 100th.
Glengarry Light Infantry, Incorporated and Sedentary Militia.
2-6 pounders
1-5 1/2 inch howitzer

The division will move to its left. The 2nd Brigade will be formed at Street's, and the 1st at Chippawa, as soon as possible after daylight tomorrow morning. The Major-General's reporting as soon as their brigades are collected.

Three batteaux manned by the Sedentary Militia will accompany each Brigade.

The detachment of the rocket company under Lt. Stevens will move to the 2nd Brigade.

The cavalry with the advance.

An officer of the Engineer Department with a proportion of artificers and tools will accompany the division.
J. Harvey, Lt.-Col., D.A.G."

"Sir Gordon Drummond to Sir George Prevost.
HEADQUARTERS, NIAGARA FALLS, 23rd October, 1814.

Sir,-The two regiments stated in my last to have been detached to augment the enemy's force at Cook's Mills on the morning of the 20th, it appears, were moved solely for the purpose of covering its retreat. On the morning of the 21st, the enemy again showed some troops in front of our position at Chippawa. Relieved, however, from all apprehension for the security of my right, I had no fears as to anything he could effect in front; in fact after a short display, (the object of which I suspected at the time and which will be hereafter explained,) his columns were withdrawn, and nothing but his picquets remained in sight.,...

As I consider my presence on this Frontier no longer absolutely required, it is my intention to return on the squadron to Kingston, leaving Major-General Stovin in this command, the arrangement of which shall be transmitted to Your Excellency, (with reference to the late General Order,) as soon as I have leisure to make them.,...

P.S. -The Western Indians are without necessaries; their goods are now lying in store at Kingston. It is very desirable they should be forded by the squadron."

"District General Order.
HEADQUARTERS, NIAGARA FALLS, 24th October, 1814.

No.1 The following movement of troops will take place immediately:

The 89th Regiment to Queenston.
100th Regiment to Fort Mississauga.
Flank companies 41st and DeWatteville's to join their regiments.
Incorporated Militia to Butler's Barracks at Fort George.

No.2 The following will be the probable arrangement of the corps in Winter quarters:

6th Regiment-Chippawa.
82nd Regiment-Burlington.
90th Regiment-Queenston.
97th Regiment-Lundy's Lane.
Royals, 41st and DeWatteville's-Forts and Butler's Barracks.
The 89th, Glengarry Light Infantry, and Incorporated Militia-York
103rd-Burlington until relieved.,..."