Le Couteur Diary - October 21 through 25, 1814

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

Le Couteur Diary - October 21 through 25, 1814

Post by pud » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:37 pm

Source: Merry Hearts Make Light Days. Donald E. Graves. Carlton University Press, Ottawa, Canada. 1993. pp. 210, 211.

"21 October
A dreadful cold night of suffering was the last, no blankets, the fire out, and frost on the ground. I verily believe that the enemy were not coming down to our right but merely intended to burn Cook's Mills as they supply most parts of the country with Planks, flour etc. About 2 o'clock we got orders to march to Fort George in order to embark for Kingston. I completed my 20th year this day and am thankful to God for having preserved me in safety through many dangers.

22 October
Halted by our old field of battle for the night and marched into Fort George and took up quarters with Walker of the Commissariat.

23 October
Sunday. Ordered to embark all in a hurry at 8 A.M. without our breakfast, right happy to do so-Huzza!, Huzza!

24 October
The Old King's as suddenly embarked as we were yesterday, all in the Niagara, Sloop of War, Captain Collier. This morning off Long Point, the King's were moved to the Charlotte. A fine breeze, jolly sailing on fresh water. Yet the sailing is like that in the Channel, a short sea, but a much longer run than from Jersey to England. It seemed funny to see the Sailors throw a bucket overboard, and drink from it. The Ducks in sight at 2 o'clock-no signs of Jonathan Chauncey's fleet. 5 P.M., passed the Ducks and anchored inside the Gap about eight. Wind foul.

25 October
Sailed at daylight. Obliged to beat in, off Nine Mile Point when the wind became fair-got a view of Old Kingston about twelve. We flattered ourselves we should dine on shore. Anchored about four and received a mortifying order not to land till a signal was made. In expectation all the evening ending in disappointment."