December 30, 1813 - The Burning of Buffalo (Black Rock), NY

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

December 30, 1813 - The Burning of Buffalo (Black Rock), NY

Post by pud » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:33 am

Source: The Documentary History of the Campaigns upon the Niagara Frontier in 1812 to 1814, Volume 9. Lt. Col. E. Cruikshank, Welland: Tribune office, 1908. p. 67

"Lt. General Drummond to Sir George Prevost.
BUFFALO, 30th December, 1813.

DEAR SIR,-
I have the satisfaction of acquainting Your Excellency that the attack which was made at daylight this morning on the enemy's troops at Black Rock has been completely successful, Major General Riall having in the most gallant style defeated, after a short but severe contest, a body of upwards of 2000 men advantageously posted. The Corps employed on this service or detachments of the Royals, Kings and 41st Regiments with the flank companies of the 89th and 100th. After having driven the enemy from Black Rock Major General Riall immediately pursued them towards Buffalo, from whence after a few rounds from his field guns he again rapidly fled towards the Eleven Mile Creek. The number of the enemy killed and wounded was very great. Our loss has been severe. Not having as yet received any official report I can only say generally that the conduct of the troops, not only in the field but in their patient suffering of great privation, &c., was above all praise - that the circumstances of carrying on military operations in such a climate is sufficient proof of the zeal of the troops.

I enclose a copy of my instructions to Major General Riall. It will be my endeavor in transmitting the Major General's dispatch to point out to Your Excellency the great merit of the Major General, the officers and the troops, in the execution of this arduous service.

Very few prisoners were made accept such as were wounded, a circumstance which marks a very clearly the rapidity of the enemy's flight. About 70 prisoners are in our hands, amongst whom is the famous Doctor or Col. Chapin, whom, in consequence of his former escape, I have sent off towards Québec by an officer and two dragoons.

We have taken seven pieces of ordinance of different calibers and destroyed four of the enemy's armed schooners and sloops. The town of Buffalo has been burnt, as well as that of Black Rock previous to its evacuation by the troops. Many valuable stores have been taken."