October 11, 18, 19, 21 - 1813 (Kingston UC)

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

October 11, 18, 19, 21 - 1813 (Kingston UC)

Post by pud » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:08 am

From the journal of Lt. John Le Couteur, D.E. Graves. Carlton University Press, Ottawa, Ontario. 1993. p. 145-146.

11 October [1813]
Dear Mrs. Robison offered me a bedroom in her house with her former kindness but, as I was fearful of intruding on Her as She had friends in the house, I declined. Very distressing news of the defeat of General Proctor's army, and the death of the Indian Hero Tecumseh, reached us. Our army was said to be annihilated and the 41st [Regiment] cut to pieces.

18 October
On the 18th dear Mrs. Robison having urged me to take my old room, I once more occupied my most comfortable and hospitable quarters.

19 October
The next day, I was despatched under Captain Sabine's orders to assist him in setting up Telegraphs from the Islands to Kingston and Point Frederick. A most delightful [and] amiable companion was Captain Sabine, if I had appreciated Him fully, I should never have left his guidance.

21 October
I entered my nineteenth year - too full of health , for I was painfully troubled with a succession of boils all a long my legs and thighs, as a set off for the dysentery which I had escaped in the Black swamp. My fair friends sent me numbers of novels, Sir Charles Grandison who was to be my model, Self Control, John of Lancaster, some of these I read a loud of an evening, to a coterie of sweet girls, three or four, whom the old Lady permitted to listen to me. Major Hunter called to see me. There are thirteen thousand American troops at Sackets Harbor with a design to attack this place - the defences along the Lake are good, but those about the Town amount to nothing.