SMG Isaac Brock is dead - October 13, 1812

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

SMG Isaac Brock is dead - October 13, 1812

Post by pud » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:05 pm

Source: A History of the War Between Great Britain and the United States of America During the Years 1812, 1813 & 1814. G. Auchinleck. Arms and Armour Press, 1972. p. 108.

"Fort George, October 13, 1812.
Sir, -- I have the honor of informing your Excellency, that the enemy made an attack with considerable force, this morning, before daylight, on the position of Queenstown [Queenston]. On receiving intelligence of it, Major General Brock immediately proceeded to that post, and I am excessively grieved in having to add, that he fell whilst gallantly cheering his troops to an exertion for maintaining it. With him the position was lost; but the enemy was not allowed to retain it long, reinforcements having been sent up from this post, composed of regular troops, militia, and Indians: a movement was made to turn his left, while some artillery, under the able direction of Captain Holcroft, supported by a body of infantry, engaged his attention in front. This direction was aided, too, by the judicious position which Norton, and the Indians with him, had taken on the woody brow of the high ground above Queenston.,... I have the honor to be, (Signed,) R.H. Sheaffe, Major-General."