Appropriate canteen

Discuss muskets, uniforms and accouterments here. If you're looking for something, we may be able to point you in the right direction.
Keith
Private

Appropriate canteen

Post by Keith » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Guys:

I'm wondering what the appropreate canteen for the time period would be?

From what I have read on line it would seem that the round blue wooden one is correct, however I have also found that the british used a half moon or kidney shaped metal one during the FIW time frame.

If this is so would it not be possible to have both on the field in 1812 (Knowing from personal experiance how the military like to keep old stuff!)?

Also I take it that the round one would be linded with pitch to water proof it and would have metal bands on it to hold it together.

Keith

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Re: Appropriate canteen

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 am

I have a couple wooden ones, but one is pretty much falling apart. Mike has a tin one, and they're probably easier to come by.

We should try to get a bunch of wooden ones. They are great as long as you never put water in them.

I guess if they are always full of clean water, they won't leak though.

These are nice if you can afford oak.

Just need to get some blue milk paint.

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Here's an original (replacement strap)
Attachments
IMG_8178.JPG
IMG_8178.JPG (30.16 KiB) Viewed 32942 times

pud
Official historian

Post by pud » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:40 am

Bill:

Is this yours? If so, where did you find it!? I see the broad arrow burned/etched into it but I can't make out the white lettering,....it doesn't look period. What does it say? I love the fact that the milk paint has a darker hue to it than does modern milk paint blue,...but do you think it's original too?

Pud

p.s. Have you ever come across a broad-arrow iron that we could use to actually burn the image into the wooden canteens?

Glengarry Fencible
Sergeant

Post by Glengarry Fencible » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:26 am

pud wrote:Bill:

Is this yours?

It's in the museum in Niagara on the Lake.
Pud

pud wrote: p.s. Have you ever come across a broad-arrow iron that we could use to actually burn the image into the wooden canteens?
Norm D had one. We got to use it at Willowbank one year, and we branded everything.