Late? September, 1812 - Major General Brock's promotion

If it's related to the War of 1812, discuss it in this forum.
pud
Official historian

Late? September, 1812 - Major General Brock's promotion

Post by pud » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:42 pm

**This is a letter from Lord Bathurst to Sir George Prevost which confirmed that Isaac Brock was to be Knighted by King George III through his son, the Prince Regent. Unfortunately, Brock didn't live to hear of his promotion.

"I have had the honor of receiving your dispatch, dated the 26th August, together with its enclosures from Major General Brock, and I lost no time in laying intelligence so important and satisfactory before his Royal Highness the Prince Regent.
I am commanded by his Royal Highness to take the earliest opportunity of conveying his approbation of the able, judicious, and decisive conduct of Major General Brock, of the zeal and spirit manifested by Col. Proctor and the other officers, as well as of the intrepidity of the troops under the command of Major General Brock.
By the united exertions of this little army, the enterprise of the Americans has been defeated; the territories of his Majesty in Upper Canada have been secured; and on the enemy's fort of Detroit, so important to that security, the British standard has been happily placed.
You will inform Major General Brock that his Royal Highness-taking into consideration all the difficulties by which he was surrounded, from the time of the invasion of the province by the American army, under the command of General Hull, and the singular judgment, skill, firmness, and courage with which he was enabled to surmount them so effectually-has been pleased to appoint him an extra Knight of the Most Honorable Order of the Bath."